[Healeys] BJ8 cam install questions

Gbouff1 at aol.com Gbouff1 at aol.com
Wed Dec 26 11:08:09 MST 2007

I am thinking about re-grinding my MK1 camshaft to the BJ8 specs when I
rebuild my engine but I want to keep the rest of the engine as original as
possible. My questions are as follows.

The car is intended for spirited street use.  The MK1 cam is rated at  2700
rpms for max torque while the BJ8 cam is rated max torque at 3000  rpms.  Will
there be any significant improvement or decrease in the seat of  the pants
feel of acceleration?  If there is no apparent difference I may  not bother with
a new grind.

Can the original distributor curve be adjusted or modified to the  newer BJ8
distributor curve?

I intend to keep the 1 3/4 carbs, will the BJ8 cam cause the engine to
starve for air towards max RPMs?

Happy Holidays!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Gary Bouffard