[Healeys] Insurance Coverage, the real value.

Kent McLean kentmclean at comcast.net
Tue Dec 25 14:10:54 MST 2007

Charlie Baldwin wrote:
> Some one came to look at the car for Hagerty and estimated $12,000.

IANAL, nor am I an insurance agent, but... that someone from Hagerty is
probably trying to settle the claim for as little as possible.

If it were me, I'd have a real body shop, one that specializes in
classic Jaguars, give you an estimate. Make sure they give an estimate
to put it back the way it was. That may include a total repaint of the
entire car, to match the color.  Then give that estimate to Hagerty and
let them deal with Mr. Hummer.

But be ready to put up a fight. Include any documentation you may have
for previous work done to the rear (body work, suspension, fuel tank),
and the costly down-to-bare-metal repaint you just had done. And if they
want to write it off as totaled, show them a list of similar E Type
convertibles that auctioned off for $75,000+. :) (Unless you had an
agreed-value policy.)

Or you can shrug your shoulders, take their first low-ball offer, and
say, "That was easy".

--
Kent McLean
'56 100 BN2