[Healeys] bronze guides (was parts comparison)

Michael Shepard shepard7107 at msn.com
Thu Aug 30 18:22:30 MDT 2007

Hi All,

Several listers have emailed me and asked why I have a problem with bronze
valve guides. Michael Salter's excellent - as always - blog explanation tells
the tale. The amusing thing here, to me anyway, is why did I think there was
any good reason in the first place to use the bronze guides. Cast iron block
and head, long stroke, old technology, street driven car. Can't see where
there would be any benefit to the bronze guides. My car ran great from 1973
when I bought it until 2000 or so when I rebuilt the engine and put in the
bronze guides. Heck, I still have points in my distributor! I have seen other
examples of this "new stuff is better" or "racers stuff is better" but I have
mostly managed to avoid them. Urethane suspension bushings always struck me as
something to avoid, my car has enough rattles in it when I ride the bumpy
roads! Anyway, since I don't contribute much on the list, I thought this might
start an interesting thread.

Best Regards,
Michael in Baltimore
HBJ8L36596  Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com