[Healeys] Pedigrees of a different sort

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sat Aug 25 17:41:54 MDT 2007

Hi, JR -
One of the goals of the BJ8 Registry is to document the continuous ownership
history of as many cars as possible.  As you might expect, many owners of
40+ year old vehicles have disappeared into history without a trace because
there was no place to document and preserve a record of their ownership.
Yes, there are state vehicle registration agencies, but most states have
purged their old inactive registration files and have registration records
for only 10 years or so back.  There are exceptions (North Carolina is one),
and I have been acquiring those records as quickly as possible before they,
too, disappear.   I was fortunate that my BJ8 has spent its whole life in
North Caroina through seven owners.  With the NC DMV records, I was able to
trace the car back to the original owner and learn some very interesting
thing about its history.  Such as, it was stolen the same day it was bought
new.  The owner of one of the cars that was judged Gold in Concours at
Conclave this year also was able to get a complete record of the ownership
of his car though nine previous owners from the NC DMV records.

In the absence of DMV records, for the most part, the known history of a car
has to come from the knowledge of current owners.  If they don't contribute
that information to the registries, then whatever they know will also be
lost to history eventually.  In 10 or 15 years, will the owner of your
Healey at that time even know you existed?  How?

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry