[Healeys] Pedigrees of a different sort

Leonard Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 25 15:34:20 MDT 2007

JR:  I am the third owner of my BJ8.  I purchased the car in England and
know who I bought it from and some of that history.  Many years ago, I tried
to obtain information on the first owner through the Royal Automobile Club
(RAC) without success.  I know from the Heritage document that this Healey
was purchased as a "personal export car, home delivery" ("home" meaning
England, I believe) and "dispatched to (dealer)" on March 16, 1967.  In
fact, the original owner took it to Spain which explains why it is left-hand
drive.  Although he loved the car, being "physically challenged", it turned
out to be impractical so he returned it to England  in 1969 and traded it in
for something more suitable for him.  A friend knew I was looking for a
Healey and sent me a classified ad that led me to the second owner.  Steve
Byers, BJ8 Registrar, tried to track down information on the original owner
through his contacts in England but that search also proved fruitless.

I feel that I am almost its 'original' owner since at the time I acquired it
in 1970, it had gone through two owners in three years yet had just 14,640
miles on the odo.  Today, the odo is nearing 175,000 miles.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville,  California,  USA
1967 3000 MKIII, HBJ8L39031