[Healeys] Top Trunnion Bearings

Dave Schweninger quenty at ntelos.net
Sat Aug 25 12:43:14 MDT 2007

Hi Gary.
I assembled my front end during a total restoration. All the parts
were clean and Dry.
I think that replacing the thrust bearing could be done fairly
easily. I would jack the car up with the jack under the spring plate
so the cars weight is on the the cars spring. Remove the backing
plate. Crack the swivel pin nut loose (after removing the cotter
pin). Remove the bolt that goes through the shock "A" arms and the
upper trunnion. With a little persuasion you should be able to pull
the trunnion out pivoting at the lower trunnion, Remove the big
swivel pin nut and the spindle will slide right off.
Clean everything up. Really clean and dry. Now is the time to check
everything out for wear, slop and all that good stuff.
The new bearing slips on the trunnion after the spindle and the upper
trunnion goes on top of that.
Healey Spares undoubtedly give instructions on how to sort out the
shims. I use a feeler gauge between the trunnion and the spindle to
measure the clearance.
I'd replace the upper trunnion bushings and the Cork seal on the
covers on general principals. You may have to loosen the clamp bolts
on the shock "A" arm to get the new rubber trunnion bushings in. the
clamp bolt on the shock shaft acts as a key and should removed to
allow the arm to slide out a bit.
I just discovered you have a BJ8. Removing the disc brake is a little
more complicated.

I have based the above on my assembling Daisy. If there are mistakes
or if somebody has a better way, fire away!
Good luck
Dave