[Healeys] Engine problem

chucknsueo at aol.com chucknsueo at aol.com
Mon Aug 20 07:05:22 MDT 2007

Jack,

?

The "dieseling" you describe?is very common.?The cylinder interior is so hot it burns the gas without the spark plug firing just from the compression.? If it gets too bad it can actually break the crankshaft, so you are right to be concerned.?I can usually prevent it by stepping on the clutch and holding it when you turn off the key.? My BT7 does that all the time when I put regular gasoline (petrol to you of course!)?in it.? Putting in premium (higher octane rating) petrol usually takes care of the problem.? There are also adjustments you can?make but they may or may not solve the problem.? I believe you would retard the timing and/or enrich the mixture.? If the engine is running hot because the timing is too advanced or the carbs are too lean that can cause it.? Premium gas can handle these but regular gas can't, which is why the increase in octane works.? Aviation gas is a good?high octane boost in the US.? There are also commercial octane boosters to add to your gas tank.? Good luck!

?

Chuck Ott
Middletown, DE USA
62BT7, 67BJ8, 69AN9