[Healeys] Engine problem

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Mon Aug 20 07:01:50 MDT 2007

Hi Jack,
The problem that you are experiencing is called "run on" and is very common
in older cars.
It is caused by spontaneous combustion of the incoming charge as a result of
the heat in the combustion chambers, high compressions and sometimes local
"hot spots". I think it is made worse by modern, lead free, fuels. It does
not happen on modern cars because the fuel injectors stop operating when you
turn off the ignition so there is nothing to burn.
Some measures can be taken to eliminate run on but, in some cars, in my
experience often BJ8s, it just cannot be beaten.
Some of the things that may help are:
1. Ensure that the idle speed is as low as you can get it.
2. Use good quality fuel.
3. Let the engine idle a few seconds before turning off
4. Ensure that the cooling system is keeping the engine temperature in the
180 - 200 range.
I have developed the habit of turning the engine off with the car is 4th
gear and gently releasing the clutch as I turn off the ignition. This
essentially stalls the engine as it shuts down and will prevent the
shuddering which can cause engine damage, and the risk of the engine running
backwards on its last gasp and spraying a load of exhaust gas, mixed with
raw fuel out through the air filters.

Michael Salter
100S (1955)
3000 Mk111(1965)