[Healeys] BN1 Gearbox Leaks

John Harper AH at jharper.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 01:01:20 MDT 2007

Rich

My reply below is rather delayed because it was rejected as oversize. It
was only about 50 bytes over. Leaving your original email intact and
replying with something similar in size is deemed to be too large. I
believe that the limit is set to tight. What do other think? Anyway here
is my email without your original in full.

***

Rich

My experience is almost the opposite of yours. I have been driving BN1s
or A70 Herefords (BS3) virtually continuously since 1961.  Any oil leaks
I have had were due to oil seal deterioration around the gear selector
cross shaft or vertical gate rotating shaft. Using a good original
double oil seal here is important. I have also had oil seal problems
around the speedo drives but all pretty obvious when inspected. I did
have one difficult problem some years back with oil getting into the
clutch space. In fact I had two problems with front covers. One was
cracked due likely to the layshaft not being correctly rotated before
tightening. The other was wear in the scroll. It is more important than
owners imagine that this is not damaged due to say shaft misalignment
and that the scroll is perfectly clean and intact.

By the way the A70/90 rear extension has a breather in it but only the
same size as the one fitted to rear axles.

Now; if one starts to consider oil leaks from the overdrive this is a
different matter. I have a leak that I cannot locate on my BN2. It could
be the core plug in the bottom of the casting but I am not sure about
this. Any ideas?

Regards

>Over the years we've all seen the early 3 speed BN1 gearbox and how much they
>seem to leak oil.
Snip
--
John Harper