[Healeys] BN1 Gearbox Leaks

Bill bn1 at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 2 22:49:26 MDT 2007

Now this is interesting, Rich, and I was hoping to see some other
3-speed and OD "gone through" by Eric Grunden of Absolutely British.
(An excellent LBC mechanic and a bummer for us LA folk that he recently
moved to the Santa Maria area.  Shameless commercial ends here, NFI!)  I
asked about the 1st motion shaft O-ring and was told:  "I don't do it."
"If you want to do it, go ahead."  No other explanation was given.

With a copy of this post to him, I'm asking:  Hey Eric, what do you know
that we don't?  Please let me know off-list and I'll forward it on.

So, I took my front plate and a spare 1st motion shaft down to my
favorite machinest.  It was much less high-tech than yours, Rich.  He
simply lathed out a groove in the front plate where the spiral was and
added an O-ring for a $20 under the table.

I've put many hard miles on it since then and have had no additional oil
leakage as you have.  I'm curious, are you running synthetic oil?  I'm
running straight non-detergent 30W.

Bill Barnett
'53 BN1 #663