[Healeys] BN1 Gearbox Leaks

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Fri Aug 3 20:12:11 MDT 2007

I would agree completely with Eric with respect to the amount of
breathing a gearbox requires however, as I recall, there is one factor
with respect to BN1 boxes that makes them very different from almost any
other box I have worked on and that is the fact that there are seals in
the box, between parts which move relative to each other, which are
constantly immersed in oil. i.e below the normal oil level.
All these other boxes, if the gaskets are in good condition, and they
are correctly assembled usually only leak, if they are going to leak,
while in motion but the BN1 tends to leak even when stationary.
It is generally considered to be bad practice to design any oil bath
lubricated machine where the shaft seals are constantly subjected to a
head (gravitational or other) of oil pressure.

Michael
At the cottage