[Healeys] BN1 Gearbox Leaks

Healeyguy at aol.com Healeyguy at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 02:18:01 MDT 2007

Rich
A somewhat related story.
While reassembling a basketcase Ford  gearbox that is fit to a Lotus Elan
last month I came across an unusual  bolt in the box of bits. In checking with my
Lotus technical adviser on the US  mainland I was informed that the gearbox
had a breather in the form a  drilled bolt with protective cap.  It was to be
installed in the left rear  bolt hole in the shifter housing. Someone figured
out, just as you did, that  gear boxes generally need a vent. Not much of one
as the Ford box used a 5/16  bolt in that location so the drill hole can't be
to big. I suspect that the  location is dictated by the splash pattern of the
lubricant in a particular  gearbox. At any rate I was told to install the vent
or the box would "leak more  than usual!"
Aloha
Perry