[Healeys] Vapor lock?

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 19:16:24 MDT 2007

Len -

What you describe is the classic vapor lock symptom of American Cars of the
50s and 60s.  With a mechanical fuel pump located on the engine block, when
things are hot all the fuel in the line and carb vaporizes, making the pump
lose its prime and spending its time literally sucking vapor.

The old timer's solution, although not that great for upper cylinder wear,
was to give a shot of starter fluid into the air cleaner, then at least the
motor would spin up fast enough to get the pump to pull some fuel.

The only real solution is to go with an electric pump - a common mod of the
period.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1