[Fot] TR6 Porterfield R-4 Rear Brake Shoes - Carbotech relining

yellow04 yellow04 at tr4racer.com
Thu May 23 19:27:59 MDT 2024

My issues with Carbotech has not been the quality of the pads, it has
been the shoes for the rear drums. I have had a couple of failures where
the lining breaks up at the top or bottom edge, and once it starts
crumbling, it is game over. I got to the point where I was mixing and
matching shoes from different sets to actually get 4 shoes to wear out
evenly.

Last year there was a thread here about running stock linings on the
rear shoes, and the first thing in my head was that's nuts. But taking
into account where those racers were finishing, I decided the worst
thing that would happen is I needed to swap brake shoes in the paddock.

OK, I didn't go with the Moss Motors "who knows where they came from"
shoes, I went to Rock Auto and spent all the money on a set of genuine
Raybestos shoes, currently available for a whopping $32 plus shipping. I
ran them for the first time at Summit Point last weekend and they seemed
fine. Obviously, until I put eyes on them the jury is still out, but I
really didn't think I could tell any difference in stopping power. Most
importantly, my lap times were OK and consistent.

Thinking I probably had less coefficient of braking, I did nudge the
balance bar a tad to the rear, and after the first session where I did a
completely crap job of bedding them in, I never thought about them all
weekend.

Henry