[Fot] Critical Kastner Cup Update - New Date!

Curt Johnston curt.johnston at comcast.net
Sun Oct 22 14:56:55 MDT 2023

Hello FOT,

Below is a report and critical update on the 2024 Kastner Cup at Sonoma Raceway.  The updated Kastner Cup poster is attached.

Revised Race Date (Now April 18-21).

SVRA had a signed contract with Sonoma Raceway for the last weekend in April which, is why we announced the 2024 date at Road America.  Unfortunately, Sonoma Raceway forced SVRA to move the SpeedTour event up a week to April 18-21 (Thursday-Sunday).  This threw a wrench in SVRA plans for back-to-back race weekends at Sonoma and Laguna Seca, but if you’re able to make both races it will be worth the effort.  SVRA is offering us a Kastner Cup/Triumph Feature Race on Sunday at Laguna Seca if we have enough cars registered.

Triumph to be Featured Marque

Triumphs will be the featured marque at the Sonoma SpeedTour.  There will not be a National Trans Am race, so we will have the top billing.  SVRA has asked for our suggestions for a Grand Marshall of the entire race weekend.  As the featured marque, we will also have coverage in the SpeedTour Magazine which now has a distribution of 30,000 copies.  Also, SVRA is looking into the cost of preparing “Hero Cards” for all Triumph racers (a business card with an image of your car).  SVRA did this in the past, but they want to bring it back on a limited basis with “Collectors Series” for cars in the featured marques.

Car Preparation Rules

SVRA will allow us to determine race group rules.  There only concern is safety, so cars will be teched on that basis.  However, SVRA reserves the right to place cars in an appropriate run group (other than for Kastner Cup) based on modifications and equipment (e.g.; slick tires usually means placing a car in a faster group).  Cars running out of class will not be eligible for a podium position in that class (again, this does not apply to the Kastner Cup).

Registration Discounts – Free Test Days!
    * SVRA will offer a free Thursday Test Day (over $300 value) for all Kastner Cup/Triumph registrants at both Sonoma and Laguna Seca.
    * On Black Friday/Cyber Monday, the regular registration amounts will be discounted. So please register that weekend if possible.  Early registration benefits drivers with reduced costs and the Kastner Cup as it allows SVRA to lock in our practice/race group schedule early.
Race Weekend Schedule
    * Triumphs will run in their respective Run Groups for practice, unless we have a large group of 35 or more cars that would justify our own group.
    * SVRA will provide one or two Feature Races on Saturday/Sunday depending on the number of cars registered. Again, a large group will allow us to run two exclusive Kastner Cup races (KCup and Reunion).  If we have a small group, the Kastner Cup race would be on Sunday.
    * Assuming we have enough cars for two featured races, the Kastner Cup will be awarded after the Saturday race as is the tradition.
Other Activities
    * Huffaker Motorsports agreed to host a social event for us on Friday. Their shop is located at the track up the hill from the paddock.
    * The British Sportscar Hall Of Fame may have a presence on Friday, but it is undetermined now.
    * SVRA will reserve a garage for the Kastner Cup so we can host social events and present the Kastner Cup Awards.
    * The Kastner Cup group will be assigned paddock space together, but we need to coordinate the space required by getting trailer length information from each driver. This will significantly lower our stress finding good space in the paddock.  Please pass on to me the length of your trailer so we can plan space for everyone.
Trailer Storage for Layovers to Laguna
    * SVRA is attempting to negotiate trailer storage between races with the tracks. It is available, but they are trying to lower the cost.
Laguna Seca Race Weekend (two weekends later)
    * If you sign up for the Laguna Seca race, SVRA will provide a free Thursday Practice Day ($350+ value).
    * If there is enough Triumphs registered, we will get a Triumph/Kastner Cup Feature Race on Sunday at Laguna Seca!
Social Activities Between Races

For those that stay in California between races, the Committee will organize some group activities.  This would likely include wine tasting, dinners, and a bit of sailing (Kastner Cup Sailing Club).

Hotels

We are researching hotels and will report back soon.  Feel free to pass on your suggestions to me.

Thanks!

Curt Johnston
curt.johnston at comcast.net mailto:curt.johnston at comcast.net
707-249-1667