[Fot] Quaiffe Versus Gripper -

Joe Boruch jaboruch at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 16:24:17 MDT 2023

 No one has mentioned the other Quaiffe diff, which is a plate type diff, aka Tran-x, which Quaiffe bought.  I have had a Tran-x in my car for years.  Had Detroit lockers prior to that, but after breaking a few of them I went with the Tran-x.  I chose the Tran-x over a Quaiffe to avoid the issue with loss of traction from lifting the inside rear wheel.  Quaiffe needs both rear wheels to have traction.  My Miata uses a Torsen, which is similar to the Quaiffe and it works great, but the Miata is an independent rear suspension, un-like the TR3's solid rear axle.
The Tran-x is also easier to drive in the rain than the Detroit locker.  The DL would sometimes lock unexpectedly in a corner in the rain, sending the back end around.  Torsen is also great in the rain.  JoeB