[Fot] Alloy water pump housing - Spit/GT6/TR6

JOE CURRY spitlist at cox.net
Fri Feb 24 07:28:33 MST 2023

I remember when I was in High School, my mom's Mercury Comet with a 260 V8 suddenly had water in the oil.  My first thought was a blown head gasket.  So I pulled the heads and discovered nothing wrong.  So I took them to my local machine shop to have them checked out.  The guy at the shop told me they were true and asked about the issue.  After my explanation, he told me to check the water pump housing since those were made from pot metal and it was common for the water pump to wash out holes and start pumping coolant into the oil galleries.

Sure enough, he was right.  The moral of this story is to make sure that you are not creating a problem in search of a better power to weight ratio,

Joe C.