[Fot] Southwick Conversion axle float

Philip Gott vfracing at aol.com
Fri Feb 17 14:27:43 MST 2023

Thank you for the advice.
I made a shim out of a bronze thrust washer purchased from McMaster Car (part number 5906K528). It fits over the 2” OD  bearing retainer shrunk on the shaft, although i opened it up about .040 to give some clearance. The OD of the thrust washer needs to be turned down a bit to fit inside the axle housing. It is just about the same thickness or .002” thicker than the backing plate, so the bearing will be captive and have no end play.  As some of you advised, this will go inside the bearing housing rather than inside the backing plate.
See you at Road America!!!
Phil