[Fot] Southwick Conversion axle float

Philip Gott vfracing at aol.com
Sun Feb 12 17:14:30 MST 2023

Starting to reassemble my rear axle after a successful install of a new ring and pinion (thanks the help and advice on that one, FOT). When putting in the axle shafts I noticed an indentation on the axle bearing retainer from the bearing slamming sideways into it. Southwick machined the bearing housing ends the full width of the bearing. Because the backing plate fits over the bearing, there is nothing to keep the bearing all the way in the bearing housing, and it shifts side to side in the void left between the retainer and the backing plate.
One solution would be to find some steel wire the same thickness as the backing plate and form it into ring inside the hole in the backing plate.
Does anyone have any other solutions or recommendations?
Phil Gott

Sent from my iPhone