[Fot] Pinion bearing on GT6

Scott Janzen sjanzen at me.com
Wed May 19 12:01:02 MDT 2021

I would add that some of these diffs used a crushable spacer, I’m told, rather than a hard spacer and shims. In that case, I’m not sure you can simply re-tighten the nut.  Yes, these are tapered bearings with a spacer in between.
Here’s some instructions that summarize this better than I can.  If you have a nut with a cotter pin, it would seem you are in luck.

The pinion seal gets a bit more involved on later diff units; if yours has a castle nut and cotter pin holding the flange to the front of the pinion you can just take it off, remove the flange and swap out the seals re-torque the nut to the work shop manual spec.
If instead you find a cap similar to a front wheel bearing cap and inside that a nylock nut you must be very careful to mark the shaft the flange and the nut so on reassembly you can get them back in EXACTLY the same relative positions; THIS INCLUDES TAKING A COUNT OF EXACTLY HOW MANY TURNS THE NUT TAKES. For example: you turn the nut 12 turns and three flats to get it off, then you must turn it twelve turns and three flats putting it on. Your marks should now line up. If they don't quite line up you can tweak the nut a bit to bring them into line. If they have gone beyond DON'T back off. The reason for this fussiness is that the pinion preload is set by a crush sleeve. If you get back to the same place the preload is not changed. If you go farther you change the preload, but in a worn unit it probably won't be off much it is only a fraction of a flat we're talking about. If you back off you release the preload.