[Fot] overfilled TR4 sump

Bob Kramer rkramer56 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 14:48:37 MDT 2021

I caught an episode of Engine Masters on the tube.  They had a big block
Chevy engine where they tested a Miloden and a Moroso oil pan.  One of the
pans was a cheap aftermarket with baffles. and the other a high tech job
with a 2 part tank, extra width, engineering screens and the like. Neither
had a crank scraper. They were able to gain HP by dropping the oil level to
5.5 quarts (no accusump). They played with the oil level to try and correct
a drop in oil pressure that occured near peak power.  Oil pressure dropped
like a rock and they speculated it was foaming the oil. In the end the high
tech pan versus the cheaper aftermarket pan added 27 HP if I remember
correctly.

Bob Kramer