[Fot] Battery ?

Ponostyle ponobill at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 22:07:38 MDT 2019

If you want to get a seriously good battery then Lithium is the way to go. Unfortunately there are several issues that make that decision a little tricky. If the car is going to charge the battery instead of running it total loss and charging in the pits, then you have to accept certain limitations in the battery—like it might die fairly quickly. Most people don’t want to rewire their car to accommodate a lithium battery, so even the eye-wateringly expensive (a thousand bucks and up) are designed with a simplified BMS system that protects from overcharging by disconnecting the battery. If your electric system can live with that, then you might as well buy one of the cheaper ones ($150-ish) and see how it goes. The best way to manage a lithium battery is to keep it connected to the car but disable charging when the cells reach about 95% charge, and disconnect the battery entirely if the cell voltage gets to 20 percent or so. If you do that the battery will outlast the car. If you don’t, it might die the first time you overcharge or completely drain the battery. Any battery with an internal BMS and just two terminals can’t just shut off charging.

Lead acid batteries respond to overcharging by going into electrolysis and generating oxygen and hydrogen. Nothing terrible happens unless it goes on too long without adding water, or you manage to catch the hydrogen/oxygen mixture on fire, in which case it turns back into water and disassembles the battery.

Unless you are prepared to build your own battery from a box full of LiFe cells, add your own BMS and control charging I suspect you should get an AGM and be happy. Optimas are not all that special.