[Fot] Ignition coil for 6 cylinder with points (racing)

fubog1 fubog1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 11 06:19:58 MDT 2019

 I agree, a lot of electrons going through there, and the red plastic rubbing block on the modern points has its limit.Points are fine on a 4-cylinder engine, if all is kept in order, but a 6-cylinder at those revs is pretty much at the limit; it has to do with coil saturation time, the amount of time that the points are closed.There's a limit to how fast the points can be made to open and close, just like a cam/valve action, and the modern optical & magnetic units are instantaneous and allow max saturation time for a good spark.A 6-cylinder @ those revs would likely benefit from a modern unit.Glen