[Fot] Triumph 4 speed O/D's and Layshaft bearing failures.

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 11 06:47:24 MDT 2019

 I have rebuilt many TR-3B through TR-6 gear boxes, both with and without overdrive.  The failure mode you mention is common, where the lay gear grinds into the rear thrust washer, and sometimes into the housing.  However, I have never had trouble removing the lay gear.  Once I remove the thrust washer, the lay gear lifts right out.  Am I missing something?  Are you working on a Spitfire or GT-6 gearbox?
Once again, I pull the rear thrust washer out, generally with the transmission oriented with the bell housing down.  Then, with the gearbox oriented in the upright position, I lift up the end of the lay gear where I have just removed the thrust washer.  Once it clears the boss at the rear of the housing, the lay gear comes right out.
Not sure this is any help, but that's my experience.
Jack Wheeler