[Fot] Fwd: Broken Diffs

fubog1 fubog1 at aol.com
Wed Nov 28 10:59:29 MST 2018

You don't even need the differential gears in the unit once the axle gears are welded to the carrier, and you sure don't want lash in anything except the R&P gear.There are numerous ways to do it but I strip & clean all, ditch the shaft, shims and diff gears, then grind out 2 sides of the gears and grind the carrier back a bit so a good bead can be layed down on either side where you can get to it, wedge the gears tight against the carrier, and weld.Pre-heating and slow cooling reduces the risk of cracks but I always crack check and check for runout after welding.I'll add that this is very "operator sensitive", ie the weldor needs to know what he's doing.
Glen