[Fot] Bent SU needles

J Wagner 4msonset at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 19:46:14 MST 2018

Okay, I got a story, but it’s not bent needles....

I bought my first Triumph, a TR4A, from my brother for $700.00 when I was 15.  He had driven it for about a year, but he wasn’t a tinkerer and the car needed restoration.

After many months of restoration, I finally had her running again and started looking at the SU’s.  It was my first experience with SU’s, as my older brothers tended to be American V8 fans, so looking over shoulders didn’t help much.  Something wasn’t right, I felt like there should be more power!  I took the filters off and studied the action to try to understand these foreign gizmos.

I immediately noticed that at theoretical full throttle, those round discs (the butterflies) weren’t opening all the way.  I got out a wrench and adjusted the linkage.  Soon I could see that full throttle would actually be full throttle.  I took the car for a spin.  Now, for the first time, the car burned rubber like a V8 and the top speed was where it was supposed to be based on the literature!

The fun was giving my older brothers a ride, particularly the one that had owned it for a year.

They had no idea the car had that sort of power!  No one had noticed the poor linkage adjustment.
The teenager with his first car figured it out!

I never had a bent needle over the years.  In various cars I often found poorly centered needles wearing the sides of a needle and/or sticking.  And I discovered similar poor linkage adjustments in a couple cars.

Fond memories!

—Justin