[Fot] Differential setup

Greg Blake gblake58tr3 at icloud.com
Tue Nov 13 11:21:44 MST 2018

The spreader was released prior to taking these readings.

I checked the backlash at 4 locations roughly 90 degrees apart and I am within 0.0005” so I think the carrier flange is straight enough.

I have tried the pinion depth from 0.735” to where it is in the pictures with 0.020” shim under the pinion race, at 0.715”.

At 0.735” (no pinion shim) the drive side pattern was at the toe and the coast side was off of the heel.

As I added pinion shim, moving the pinion toward the ring gear, to get to where it is now, the drive side pattern has moved toward the center position between the toe and heel with a little bias toward the toe. I think this is ok because as the gear is loaded, the pinion is pulled into the ring gear further therefore would tend to center the engagement on the driven side.

My concern lies with the coast side. It also moved more central as I added pinion shim, but is still more biased toward the heel than I’d like to see.

I can’t seem to get the two patterns to align more toward the center.

For a race car, should I be concerned with this coast side pattern?

Thanks.

Greg

Sent from my iPhone