[Fot] Has anybody ran these new brake calipers?

Bill Dentinger billdentin at aol.com
Sun Mar 11 18:55:42 MDT 2018

Amici...

How many of you guys remember Charlie Gibson?  He was one hell of a racer, and also a partner in SASCO MOTORSPORTS (Racing Tires).  He was killed in a regrettable work place accident when he was returning one of the big SASCO semi-trailer rigs from an event, to their shop at VIR.  He was all alone, and there was a 'brake issue.  When he disconnected the trailer, it rolled back over on him and killed him.  SAD, Sad, sad!  But I bring him up because back in the 1980s he was an avid vintage racer, and always brought a race car with him, which he raced at events he sold tires at.  Anyway, racing tires was his business. Super nice guy.  Like all of us, he had opinions, and he shared them.  He said vintage race cars ought to be racing on tall, skinny tires.  He did not seem to be hung up on compounds.  His hang up was profile.  He said our cars should not run tires less than 70 profile. The VSCDA agreed with that, and for our group...your tires had to be no less than 70 profile.  I can't remember if there was a list of approved tires, but I do know Dunlop "Gumballs" were a no-no.  They were made for a while, were almost as sticky as they were expensive.  Early on...I had heard about them...but could not afford them.  Pity.  Dunlop tires look SUPER on a TR.

Bill Dentinger