[Fot] Kevin Potter

Bill Dentinger billdentin at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 16:48:33 MDT 2018

Paul...

Well said, Paul, and an overdue tribute indeed.  Kevin Potter built great engines.  The Beady Eye agenda (starting with engine builder Mike Belfer) was not to build an engine to win a particular race, but rather to build one to last all year and then be freshened come winter.  I used to run 6-8 events a year, and Bob probably ran 16 a year, after he retired.  Fortunately we used to help meet engine life expectations by not driving at 10/10ths.  But engine building seemed to be Kevin's labor of love, and every spring he would say, "Bill...wait until to try this one!"

Kevin's Day Job was that of shop mechanic for my small masonry company.  And as a mechanic, he stood even taller in that capacity.  There did not seem to be anything he would not undertake.  One time I went out in the shop, and he had our crane in there.  I do not know how the hell he ever got it in there (it was crossways), but it was in there.  The OVHD doors were closed, and it looked to me like he was trying to take the boom off.  He was a natural mechanic.  He could build stuff, fix stuff, paint stuff, weld stuff.  Bring it on.

In his pre-Beady Eye days (while Steve's Dad Mike was still alive doing our work), Kevin was a dyed in the wool NASCAR nut.  He and his wife traveled to NASCAR races all over the country.  He was into Chevy V8s big time, and he built a fine short track racer.  I remember it well, because all of the body parts were delivered to my shop one afternoon. They weighed 40 pounds (total).  Kevin built the car.  Everything, engine, drive train, paint, graphics, everything.  It was a thing of beauty.  I think he raced it once, which was enough for him to learn that while he had the talent to build such a race car...he could not afford to race.  He sold the car.  Down through the years while he was building our engines, he continued to use that old machine shop that specialized in Chevy V8s in general, and dragstrip stuff in particular.  But Kevin knew what he wanted, and had good ideas on how to get there, and the shop found working on Kevin's little 'Brit stuff' an interesting diversion.

Back in the day, my wife loved Kevin, because as many of you know, her husband was damn near worthless when it came to fixing anything.  But with Kevin out there in the shop...her problems were easily solved.

Well said, Paul and long overdue.

Bill Dentinger

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail