[Fot] Do(o)med or flat lifters?

Jerry Van Vlack jerryvv at roadrunner.com
Mon Jul 23 07:49:06 MDT 2018

FOT, I recently did a good deal of research into cams and lifters for the wet liner engines and I believe the results are accurate for all Triumph in-line engines. Don’t know about the V-8’s in Stags or TR=8’s. My conclusions are that lifters and cams were all ground flat. No radius on lifter edges and no taper on cam lobes. Lifter rotation is accomplished by the lifter bores in the block being offset from the lobes. It sounds simple but what I found was aftermarket cams may or may not be ground flat and I know some suppliers “upgraded” lifters are ground with a radius (confirmed by actual inspection). In the end I had a stock cam reground to D Cam specifications and original lifters reground flat for my hot street engine. I’d advise checking with any aftermarket cam grinder to determine if their lobes are flat or tapered and then ask what lifter to use with their cam. Ask if off set lifter bores have any influence to their systems.
Just my 2 cents worth.
JVV