[Fot] Spitfire Gearbox

Barr, Scott sbarr at McCarty-Law.com
Fri Dec 14 07:24:20 MST 2018

I’ll throw this out there, for whatever it’s worth.  In 2008, I went to a local transmission shop owned and run by one of our Midwestern racers (Elva and Formula Ford, Ray Haper for those of you here in the Midwest) and told him I wanted a Spitfire trans with a GT6 gear set.  I told him that I understood it was necessary to shorten and re-spline the GT6 first motion shaft to get that done.

He said no problem and it’s not such a big deal.  I gave him a Spit non-overdrive trans with an aluminum bellhousing and a pile of GT6 transmissions I had lying about.  He gave me back a GT6 box with a Spitfire first motion shaft with an aluminum Spit bellhousing.

I’m looking at the invoice here.  Among tasks listed, it says:

-        Open up and inspect 3 GT6 transmissions

-        Partially assemble GT6 box with Spitfire 1st motion shaft and inspect gear pattern

-        Rebuild GT6 box with Spitfire 1st motion shaft, new bearings and synchros

Everything I’ve heard on this list forever indicates this is not possible.   And yet I raced my Spit with that trans in it for three seasons, before moving to a new overdrive gearbox.

That trans is now redundant, by the way, if anyone is interested.  I’d be happy to have it off my shelf and in someone else’s race car.

Scott (B.)

From: Fot <fot-bounces at autox.team.net> On Behalf Of don--- via Fot
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:43 PM
To: fot at autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Spitfire Gearbox

Mathieu,
Really too much to type here but what you need is the GT6 layshaft and input shaft.

Speaking from my own experience using three rail all synchro box from a Spitfire and the GT6 layshaft and input shaft
but the shaft will have to be shortened. It can be turned down on the splines to use the Spitfire disc or
Ted Schumacher at TSI Automotive can get you a clutch to fit. You can use the single rail, the recipe is
in the later Comp Prep manual.

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears are the same (or not) check the part #’s and you will see. Again, too much to type.

Feel free to call me and I can walk you thru the ups and downs of the process.
I have three close ratio boxes I built.
One with a shorten GT6 shaft,
One with a GT6 shaft that has been shortened and splines turned down
One I think came out of a Toledo that came in the car when I got it. Has DG as prefix

Don
DON COUCH PHOTOGRAPHY
www.dcphotos.com<http://www.dcphotos.com>
(512)-680-3540