[Fot] Oil Cooler or Oil filter first?

Rocky Entriken rocky at spitfire4.com
Mon Dec 3 12:08:27 MST 2018

Any bad stuff in the oil lines is gonna originate in the engine, so make the filter the first stop (and usually the shortest line). Then the cooler. And what nobody else mentioned, a check valve after the cooler before it goes back to the engine (keeps oil from flowing backwards into cooler, say on start-up.) My Accusump is plumbed into a Tee that’s just before the engine inlet – what goes to the Accusump is filtered and cooled oil, and what comes from the Accusump goes only to the engine because the check valve prevents it going the other way.

And yeah, coolers are cheap. If I’m concerned I’ll flush out the lines (self-service car wash does the trick, use high-pressure rinse), but buy a new cooler.

--Rocky