[Fot] TR4 Race Engine Break-in Questions

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 13:50:31 MDT 2018

Hi Paul.  When I last raced in the late 1990's, I was building 180 HP motors, taking advantage of all the SCCA rules would allow.  I was using up to 7,000 PRM's consistently.  Since I had to use a stock crank, I was rebuilding engines after 4 race weekends.  Therefore, my break in procedure may be different than someone who is building an engine to last a season or more.
When I showed up at the track with a brand new engine, it would have run only a few minutes in the garage, to make sure the oil pressure was OK, check for leaks, and get the timing set for the crankshaft trigger ignition, as well as the electronic distributor.  I would run the first session on the track, starting out using up to 5,000 RPM's, than gradually increasing the red line, until I was up to 7,000 RPM's by the end of the session.  I used Valvoline 20W50 VR-1 Racing Oil, with a bit of Molebdomen (sp?) Disulfide (Moly) additive.  At the end of the session, I considered my engine broken in.  I didn't change the oil until after the race weekend.
I used cast iron (soft) middle and oil control rings, so they would bed in quickly.  Because I was using pop-up pistons, which created an unusual flame pattern, I used a chrome-moly (hard) top ring.  After the session, the engine was fully broken in, and additional hours would only show barely perceptible increases in performance as the rings further bedded in.  If you are building less radical engines, intended to run many weekends before rebuilds, you may want to follow more extensive break in periods.  In my case, I never found any need to.
And that's my experience.  Good luck.
Jack Wheeler1990 SCCA EP Champion
TR-4