[Fot] TR4 Race Engine Break-in Questions

Duncan Charlton duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 12:19:43 MDT 2018

Paul,

Running the engine at 2000 to 3000 rpm and just leaving it there for 20 minutes is usually suggested as the right way to break in a new flat-tappet cam and tappets but my understanding is that this will not to much for your rings.

The following applies only to piston ring break-in and is not specific to TR engines (and I’m certainly open to hearing scientific reasons why this might be incorrect).  I do lots of throttle on/throttle off to load the piston rings in both directions, so to speak, so that means a few laps of rather jerky driving.  If the roughness profile of the cylinder walls was done properly it shouldn't take more than a few laps to bed the rings.  It would probably be a good idea to change the oil and filter after the first hard track session.

Duncan