[Fot] Race Seat

DAVE HOGYE dlhogye at comcast.net
Tue Aug 14 09:16:26 MDT 2018

Good tips and suggestions, Steve.
Todd, when I installed my Kirkey Vintage seat, as Steve suggests, I placed the seat low and wore my helmet to take some measurements. I wanted to be below the top of my roll bar and my bar fits under the factory hard top, so the height limit was known and set.
I also modified the seat.  I needed arm length but less leg length.  When I tilted or reclined the back to a comfortable arm length, the seat bottom reduced leg extension needed for full clutch depression.  I cut the seat to get more recline without effecting the bottom and leg position.  It was an easy modification.  I made a aluminum fill plates and had them welded in place. I also moved the steering wheel closer to the dash to give more arm extension.  I spent a lot of time getting it all perfect for me.
There are optimal leg and arm positions.  Bent arms, never fully extended and when the clutch is fully depressed, your leg should not press on the seat bottom and impede movement, but could lightly touch.  I learned this in 1982 when I bought Bob Bondurant's first book of high performance driving.
The Kirkey seats come in different widths.  Get one that fits relatively snug.  Measure yourself in the seated position.  If you have to you can send it back until you get the best fit.
I thought the Vintage seat looks best without the head rest, but then you have to build a rest into your roll bar.  Of course having the head rest extension solves this issue.
I like that the Kirkey seats have a snap-in cover and inexpensive.  I also added a little lumbar padding under the cover.
Dave H.