[Fot] 1969 GT6 For Sale

Scott Janzen sjanzen at me.com
Thu Oct 26 15:16:52 MDT 2017

I alluded to this in my parts email earlier today - I bought this car two years ago along with another GT6 and the parts stash.  The guy I got it from, Dave Randolph, bought it through an SCCA newsletter ad in 1984 or 1985, restored it and trimmed it out for street use but rarely used it.  I bought the package to get at the parts, and sold this car to Lee Walsh, who some of you might know.  Lee ran it last year at Palmer, Put-in-Bay and Mosport, and this year at the Kastner Cup.  Lee is getting out of racing - the fun tracks are all too long a drive from NH, and I have committed to buy the car back from him.  Mainly, what I want to do is see it stay on the track and in good hands.  It has SCCA logbooks back to 1972 and regular entries through 1984 - it’s a real race car - and is an exceptionally clean car.  I did some work on it before I turned it over to Lee, and can say that it is totally rust free, straight and appears never to have been hit.  The underside is extremely clean, if not as shiny as the bodywork.  There is a full cage as well as the typical race modifications for a GT6.  A couple of unusual aspects - the GT6 transmission, usually a weak point, has been replaced with a close ratio Muncie box, which shifts really well.  This could be readily reversed but I don’t know why you would want to.  The car has a fiberglass bonnet, and you can see the rear fender flares - not extreme but not original.  I have a correct steel bonnet in fair condition we could talk about.  On the last lap at the Kastner Cup the engine developed a rod or front main bearing knock and Lee pulled in early, so the new owner is going to need to pull the engine, probably turn the crank and put in new bearings.  I would describe the engine as mild race prep, strong but probably needs more cam to move up - it idles too well for a race car!  The only performance comparison I can make is that Lee was about 4-5 seconds behind my times at Palmer.

Price is $10,000.  Car is currently in New Hampshire and will eventually come to Philadelphia unless someone wants it sooner.  I have lots more photos and info. Hypothetically you could run this as a street car - Lee had a plate on it and the lights all work - but it’s a fabulous deal for racing and has the modifications and history necessary for same.  You will be hard pressed to find a cleaner car.  Since these photos were taken, it got new Toyo R888s, a racing seat, new belts and some other work.

Scott Janzen
215-817-9315