[Fot] Stutter at 4K rpm

Bud R levilevi at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 09:02:29 MDT 2016

A vacuum leak is more evident at lower RPM, 4-5k is lower on a 1300 Spitfire engine. If changing the main jet to a leaner jet helped that might be because you were getting less air through the chokes because of a vacuum leak somewhere else and thus less air through the chokes meant a better air/fuel mix given the air leak bypassing the carbs and not going through the chokes. Easing the throttle gives the engine a chance to deal with the too fuel rich mixture while stomping on it shoots an over rich mixture into the engine and makes it stutter.

At higher RPMs this is not as evident a problem because the air leak is less of a factor when pulling lots of air through the carbs.

Did you check for leaks by spraying carb cleaner around the manifold?

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
69 Spitfire MK 3 (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)