[Fot] TR8 Water temperature

Dustin Nicholson nicholsondustin at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 12:40:03 MDT 2016

Anyone ever consider an electric water pump? I don't know much about them but it seems you'd get a constant flow rate regardless of engine speed, maybe even an adjustable speed with a reostat. Plus you'd gain back lost HP. Some of our cars started life running 5 accessories on a belt (alternator, fan, smog pump, A/C compressor, and water pump). I'm down to only running the water pump off my belt, would be nice to have no belt at all!
DustyFP Spit

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
-------- Original message --------From: Bill Babcock <ponobill at gmail.com> Date: 7/11/16  5:22 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: MadMarx <tr4racing at googlemail.com> Cc: fot at autox.team.net Subject: Re: [Fot] TR8 Water temperature
Yes, outlet temperature of the block is lower, outlet temperature of the radiator is higher. Delta-T across the radiator is lower. Think of it this way, Q (heat transfer) is stable at some operating point. The excess heat from the engine is equal to the heat removed from the radiator. Ignore the heat transfer coefficient for the moment. So Q for radiator = mass x (Tin-Tout) and Q for engine is mass x (Tout-Tin). Q and M is the same for both engine and radiator and Tin of  = Tout of engine, likewise Tout of radiator = Tin of engine.
Obvious, right. So hold everything stable and increase flow rate. Obviously Tin-Tout must decrease as does Tout-Tin. The operating temperature will depend solely on the temperature drop across the radiator. If you and a lower operating temp at that Q you need a lower Tout of the radiator.
If you increase engine load and RPM, the mass flow rate increases with RPM, but not linearly since it’s a centrifugal pump. Slip gets worse with RPM. The high flow rate system has a lower delta-t across the engine, but also has a lower delta-t across the radiator. Temperature will likely climb higher than with a lower flow rate system (depending on where you measure it, but heat transfer rate is lower, so you might reach a point where it’s inadequate to meet the engine demand. then Tout climbs quickly and shit happens.