[Fot] Starter Question

Ron KRANTZ rkrantz77 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 25 07:02:59 MST 2016

Bob,

So you have a Spit solenoid and a Japanese gear reduction starter and hear a click when the start button is pushed.

First thing is to check the wiring.  You will need someone to push the start button when doing the following checks.

Using a volt meter:

* check for 12 volts on the output side of the solenoid
* check for 12 volts at the starter battery terminal.
* On the starter there should be a jumper wire from the battery terminal to the solenoid terminal on the starter
o With the start button pushed you should have 12 volts at the solenoid terminal on the starter.
+ if not repair jumper wire.
* If all the above checks shows 12 volts - the problem is in the starter
* Remove the starter
o Remove the rear cover on the starter
o Check the internal wire at the solenoid terminal.  It is a solid wire and can break from vibration.
+ If you have the means to repair the break do so and then put a glob of silicone on the repair and enough to bond it to the starter case.
+ If not you need a new starter.

However, all is not lost.  If you send me pics of the starter (side showing terminals and front and rear view) I can get you the common replacement starter application / part number.  You can then remove the adapter mounting plate and the modified nose piece of the starter and put them on the new starter. Install the nose piece from new starter on the bad starter and turn core.  Before installing new starter remove rear plate and add a glob of silicone to the solenoid wire as mentioned above.

I was one of the first to make a gear reduction starter for the British cars back in the 1970's.

Ron Krantz

ReK Racing