[Fot] Kastner F cam

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Fri Dec 23 10:33:09 MST 2016

If you are putting in 4 degrees of advance, you want the valve
opening 4 degrees of crankshaft rotation earlier than whatever spec
you're following (0.010 lift or 0.050 lift or whatever).  The degrees
are confusing because you have the "Before" and "After" degrees (BTDC
- Before Top Dead Center and ATDC - After Top Dead Center) - for one
you add the 4 degrees, for the other you subtract it.  I always spend
about 5 minutes figuring out which way to go.  I'm pretty sure that
an intake normally opens before top dead center, so if it was
supposed to open to 0.050 lift at 20 degrees before top dead center,
4 degrees of advance would have it opening at 24 degrees before top
dead center.  It would also close 4 degrees earlier.  If close is
supposed to be 50 degrees ATDC, 4 degrees early would be 46 degrees
ATDC (no one would close the intake that early I'm pretty sure).  I
guess you add the advance to the "before" and subtract from the
"after" settings.

When I degree a cam, I measure both the open and close events.  If
the cam isn't ground PERFECTLY to spec, if you only measure opening
you may end up with more or less advance than you expected.  So
average the open / close to get the centerline in the right spot.  If
close is 4 degrees early when open is on spec, you really have 2
degrees of advance already.  I have a hard time explaining it so it's
clear - but it's clear in my head... :)

Tony Drews