[Fot] GT6 Connecting rods

Barr, Scott sbarr at McCarty-Law.com
Wed Dec 9 10:01:29 MST 2015

Right - my problem has always been being really confident that I am measuring the same bolt the second time.  I tried once marking them with different colors of nail polish.  That didn't work at all, for reasons that will be obvious to some.  I'll come up with some way of doing it.  Replacing them at intervals is painfully expensive and probably needless.  I replace them when my gut tells me that they don't feel right when I'm torqueing them - like I really expect to get that final torque wrench click, but instead I get another 90 degrees of twist on the wrench before I get the click.  I need a better system than that  :-)

Scott B.

From: Scott Janzen [mailto:sjanzen at me.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 10:53 AM
To: Barr, Scott <sbarr at McCarty-Law.com>
Cc: Mike Munson <fasttrs at yahoo.com>; FOT list <fot at autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 Connecting rods

that's what the GT6 has.  TR6 with the stroker crank may be different.
I agree with you, they seem tiny, but I'e been running them for six years with no issues.  Carillo tells me they are re-usable, though I never thought to record the installed measurements and check against them a year or two later.
What I will do when I pull the bottom end apart in a week or two is to measure the installed length and then remeasure once disassembled.  If they "shrink" as much as the stretch dimension used for installation, they should still be good, i.e., they have not been stretched beyond the elastic range.