[Fot] Racing memories

Dean Tetterton tr3a58 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 30 14:32:09 MST 2014

I hate to say it but I could fill a few pages with my wall of art. It could
relate to the fact that
I have been driving Triumphs on the street since 1964. My first car I bought
was a 58 TR3A
& that was my race car until 2012. While driving it as my daily driver there
was not much in
the way of Triumph failures I didn't have. Including a broken crankshaft in
1966. I have had clutch failures
when 100's of miles from home and drove home without a clutch. Generators that
died and stopped
at every truck stop and charged the battery back. This was at night and when
behind a truck
would turn the lights off. Again I made it home. ONly time it left me on the
road was when
the crankshaft broke. Tried to make it then but the noise just got too loud.

Then when I started racing, the list really grew.
Lifters that wiped out the cam.
Rod broke at the oiling hole in the middle. And yes it came out both sides.
The end of using stock stuff.
Valve head that left it's stem and got on edge and stuck thru the piston and
top of the head.
The Warwick broke a stub axle and lost a wheel. Didn't roll because the wheel
exited the fiberglass quickly.
And the last and biggest piece. The TR3A carcass is in the corner of the
garage after hitting an oil slick and
hits the tire wall, goes in the air and turns and comes down on top of the
tire wall with the back of the car.
Not a straight piece on the car.

But yes I am still at it. Built a TR4 race car with the drive train from the
TR3A.

Some people just don't grow up and get good sense.

Dean T.

On Jan 30, 2014, at 11:50 AM, John Hasty wrote:

> Having only "vented" 2 I'm not sure I qualify for the club; but one of them
> was on the exhaust side creating a wonderful display of fire and smoke.
Do