[Fot] Racing memories

Rich rikrock at live.com
Wed Jan 29 17:38:29 MST 2014

I've collected several pieces over the years (don't know why I keep them, I
rarely look at them), but my "favorite"  is a broken rear stub axle from my
TVR.

It happened at VIR, at the exit of Oak Tree Turn.  Got a little wide there, up
on the curbing a bit, and that's when it broke.  Car did a complete 360, came
to a stop in the middle of the track.

Video from the onboard camera shows the wheel/tire/brake drum continuing up
the track, turning slightly left into the south course pit lane, people
scattering.

Later I was told the wheel made it all the way through pit lane, back out onto
the track for a short distance before coming to rest, without even falling
over, about ten feet off the track, driver's right!

Rich Rock