[Fot] Brake shoe re-arching

Jim Norlin norlinengineering at comcast.net
Fri Jun 29 18:31:08 MDT 2012

A couple of years ago, based on the uneven wear pattern on the rear
brake shoes on the Spitfire, I decided it was time for new drums, so I
ordered up a set.  The day before the race, I installed new Porterfield
shoes and went to install the new drums and couldn't get them on - too
small.  Or actually, the Porterfield brake lining was too thick to fit.
Took the drums to one of the larger local machine shops and dropped them
off with instructions to take them out 030 or so - I took a whole lot of
measurements.  Got a call a couple of hours later that said the drums
were too small to fit their machine.  Found an old, small shop that
turned them around in no time.  Now I carry two sets of drums, new and
oversize so I can fit whatever shoes I get (I hope).