[Fot] Brake shoe re-arching

william r tobin william.tobin31 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 27 13:21:14 MDT 2012

One of the machines used was an AMMCO Safe Arc Brake shoe grinder. I just
happen to have one in my garage. Only problem is that I'm missing a couple
of adapters. I've played around with it, but can't seem to get the process
right. The shoe gets clamped in a fixture and is moved toward a spinning
sanding drum to take off lining material. The lining is supposed to be
ground to match the drum.
In the late '60's when I was working for a Pontiac garage, we would punch
out the old lining rivets, and install new lining and rivet them on with an
old foot-operated press punch setup. Worked OK.
A friend still has a rivet tool; he re-lines clutches and such on his old
tractors.
Cheers, Bill