[Fot] Oil collecting on TR6 valve cover

Charly Mitchel charly at mitchelplumbing.com
Tue Jun 26 08:40:55 MDT 2012

Jim, I race a 69 TR6 with a chrome valve cover and I see that oil quite a
bit.  My steel cover is not porous and the only place I can point to is the
three seals on top of the cover.  I also use a silicone gasket and know its
not leaking there. I also have an auxiliary oil feed to the head, which
increases oil flow under the cover.
I did have a good seal once and it was using a faucet washer that I drilled
out the center to fit snugly over the bolt.  I'm now using the seals that
came with the silicone gasket because they are easier to take off, they are
2 SS washers with seals on them, one on the bottom and one on the inside.
The only other point I'd guess it's coming from is the hose where it
attaches to the valve cover, but mine is a real tight seal.
Good luck and it'll be interesting what theories come up.
Charly Mitchel