[Fot] Line question

Gary Schneider garygret at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 25 23:39:50 MDT 2012

Marty,
I know you already had several replies in the same vein but I wanted to add kind
of an exclamation mark. At an SCCA or MC school it is emphasized that you not
only should, you MUST stay on your line when another car is overtaking or risk a
black flag. You need to remain stable and predictable so the oncoming driver can
get around you trusting where you'll be: he'll just set up his own line to be
where you're not, quick and safe. There is a natural tendency to think it is
polite to go off line to make way, but that can wreck cars. By veering off-line
you become unpredictable and dangerous, forcing the passer to suddenly change
his planned course and guess where you're going next. Plus by going into the
marbles or pinching your line you risk spinning yourself out and getting
T-boned. You make everyone's life smoother and safer by staying on-line.

Regards,
Gary Schneider