[Fot] Group 44 Spitfire rollover?

Barr, Scott sbarr at McCarty-Law.com
Mon Feb 27 08:15:39 MST 2012

<< If I remember correctly, you had hit a curb earlier in the day >>

Nope.  Must be somebody else.  There are no curbs of that sort around
Blackhawk.

I certainly didn't mean to criticize your design, Ed.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: fot-bounces at autox.team.net [mailto:fot-bounces at autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of EDWARD BARNARD
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 7:19 AM
To: Steven Groh; fot at autox.team.net; Barr, Scott
Subject: Re: [Fot] Group 44 Spitfire rollover?

Scott:
Your's was the only set of axles from the original 10-20 sets built by
Summer's to my specs that failed.  If I remember correctly, you had hit
a curb earlier in the day, which we thought may have dammaged the axles.
In the original design there is no taper between the hub and the axle.
The next year I gave the design to Mr's Summer's because I didn't want
to dink with axles anymore. Of course, since then time has taken it's
toll...Summer's Brothers has changed hands (twice) and the waters have
been poluted. I ordered two sets from the then owner of Summer's four
years ago and what we received from them was not the original design.
The bearings have been changed to a smaller size, and the axle is not
retained in the housing in the same manner. One of those two sets is
currently experiencing issues thay may affect it's performance. Truly
disappointing.
Right now, the Chuck Gee designed, Joe Siam sold, (and sadly when last
checked, Summer's built) axles are the best design out there. Where as
the original design/built axles I did were in the $900-$1,200 range,
Chuck's design, being more extensive, is a bit more pricey. But, what
price safety. If I were building today I would use Chuck's design. The
ones I did filled the void that existed in 2001-2.
JMTC
-Ed-