[Fot] Hooking up the light weight altenator

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 29 19:12:38 MDT 2011

> One is
> large brown which I assume to be to the starter/battery.

Yup.

>  I also have
> a brown
> yellow which I assume is from the ignition

Ignition warning lamp, on the dash.

> and finally, a small brown
> wire that
> went into a separate plug in the altenator.  My stock voltmeter
> works and I
> assume that this small brown wire is for that.

No, it is a "sense" wire from the battery back to the regulator inside the
alternator, so it can "see" battery voltage without the voltage drop induced
in the big wire (by heavy current flowing through it).

> On the new
> altenator, I have the heavy battery terminal which I assume I will
> connect
> the large brown wire to.

That's right.

> The other terminal on the new altenator has
> a horizonal and vertical pin in what could be a single plug.  The top
> horizonal
> pin seems to indicate ground.  What is the best way to handle this
> one?  Also,
> is the vertical pin below the ground pin the one for the ignition
> wire (brown
> yellow)?  Where would I connect the voltmeter wire on the new
> altenator?

There are a lot of variations, and your description doesn't match my
alternator so I can't really answer.  But most likely you'll need to run an
additional wire from a switched power source (ignition circuit); and the
small brown wire won't be used.

-- Randall