[Fot] help, please!

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Feb 10 09:59:10 MST 2009

> You didn't mention that you checked to see if the throttle discs
> themselves
> are closing all the way. They can be tightened in place and not allow
> closure
> leaving a large air opening.

Just to echo what I think Robert is saying : the throttle plates need to be
centered to the bore any time they are disturbed.  If you look through the
body at a light, you may see a little light at the sides of the throttle
plate (next to the shaft), but both bottom and top should block light
totally.  If there is a rim of light, they are not closing for some reason.

I have also had problems where the linkage pivots were worn oval, and would
bind just as the carbs came to idle.  Easy check for that is to disconnect
the linkage at the front carb.

Hopefully obviously, bad synchronization between the carbs can also cause
high idle (one carb holding the other open); but usually it's not very
smooth.

Randall